Statistically, most people will encounter tooth cavities at some point in their lives. Here at Asuncion Dental Group in Frederick, MD, our general dentist, Dr. Frederick Asuncion, utilizes dental filling to treat cavities effectively, and have you smiling once again!
The Dental Filling Solution
When it comes to treating cavities, the most common solution is a filling. This entails the removal of the decayed part of the tooth and replacing it with some type of filling material. This solution is not only applicable to cavities, but it can also be used with broken or cracked teeth. Additionally, filling solutions are often inconspicuous additions to your smile thanks to modern dental technology.
How is a Tooth Filled?
There are a couple of steps involved to successfully fill a decayed or cracked tooth. This would normally involve the following:
- The tooth and its surrounding area are inspected by your Frederick, MD, general dentist.
- Local anesthetic is applied to numb the area.
- The decayed area is removed using special tools.
- The area is once again inspected and cleared in preparation for the filling.
- A protective material may be applied to shield the nerve depending on the extent of the damage to the tooth.
- The filling will be placed, finished, and polished to ensure that it is evenly and correctly applied.
Additional steps may be involved depending on the type of colored filling material used. This can include:
- Application of filling by layers.
- Hardening using light curing.
- Shaping of the material by trimming excesses.
- Final restoration of the tooth.
Available Filling Materials
There are at least six choices for colored filling materials that dentists can offer you. This can be gold, ceramic, silver amalgam, tooth-colored, plastic, and composites. The extent and location of the decay or crack help determine the type of filling material to be used. A consultation with your dentist will help clarify certain issues including the type of filling material that would be best for your dental condition.
Got Cavities? We Can Help.
Call (301) 620-8882 to schedule your appointment with our general dentist, Dr. Frederick Asuncion, here at Asuncion Dental Group in Frederick, MD.