Are you suffering from tooth decay? Do you need your cavities filled, but want to avoid metal fillings? Well, with tooth-colored fillings, that's no problem. Here in Frederick, MD, general dentist, Dr. Asuncion can help you get the healthier and whiter smile you want.
More About Tooth-colored Fillings
There are three types of tooth-colored fillings:
- Composite — Composite is an expensive mixture of plastic and glass. It lasts longer and requires less drilling compared to amalgam.
- Porcelain — It's a strong dental ceramics that doesn't stain. They require a specialized computer-generated technology and are the most aesthetic filling.
- Glass Ionomer — They're made of inexpensive acrylic and glass powders. These translucent fillings blend in well with natural tooth color.
Tooth-colored fillings fix issues like:
- Chips and cracks
- Discolored and stained teeth
- Short teeth
In order to prepare your teeth for the composite, your general dentist in Frederick will apply an etching solution to the surface of your tooth, then the composite resin that matches the color of your teeth is applied and molded to the right shape. The last step consists of the composite being hardened in place with a curing light.
Maintaining Oral Hygiene
Dental bondings require the same care as all your teeth. Be sure to brush your teeth twice a day, after breakfast and before bed, and floss at least once. This will help keep your teeth healthy and avoid new cavities from flourishing in your new tooth-colored fillings, or any of your other teeth.
After your doctor has finished the procedure, your teeth will look natural, especially if the tooth being filled is visible while you smile. Some other advantages include:
- The fillings won't cause your teeth to turn a gray tint over time and are safer.
- The composite strengthens your teeth
- Your teeth will look natural, so you won't feel self-conscious when you smile.
For more information about tooth-colored fillings and how they can improve the appearance of your smile, call your general dentist, Dr. Asuncion at (301) 620-8882, his office is conveniently located in Frederick, MD, so don't hesitate to call!