Posts for tag: Fillings
Statistically, most people will encounter tooth cavities at some point in their lives. Here at Asuncion Dental Group in Frederick, MD, our general dentist, Dr. Frederick Asuncion, utilizes dental filling to treat cavities effectively, and have you smiling once again!
The Dental Filling Solution
When it comes to treating cavities, the most common solution is a filling. This entails the removal of the decayed part of the tooth and replacing it with some type of filling material. This solution is not only applicable to cavities, but it can also be used with broken or cracked teeth. Additionally, filling solutions are often inconspicuous additions to your smile thanks to modern dental technology.
How is a Tooth Filled?
There are a couple of steps involved to successfully fill a decayed or cracked tooth. This would normally involve the following:
- The tooth and its surrounding area are inspected by your Frederick, MD, general dentist.
- Local anesthetic is applied to numb the area.
- The decayed area is removed using special tools.
- The area is once again inspected and cleared in preparation for the filling.
- A protective material may be applied to shield the nerve depending on the extent of the damage to the tooth.
- The filling will be placed, finished, and polished to ensure that it is evenly and correctly applied.
Additional steps may be involved depending on the type of colored filling material used. This can include:
- Application of filling by layers.
- Hardening using light curing.
- Shaping of the material by trimming excesses.
- Final restoration of the tooth.
Available Filling Materials
There are at least six choices for colored filling materials that dentists can offer you. This can be gold, ceramic, silver amalgam, tooth-colored, plastic, and composites. The extent and location of the decay or crack help determine the type of filling material to be used. A consultation with your dentist will help clarify certain issues including the type of filling material that would be best for your dental condition.
Got Cavities? We Can Help.
Call (301) 620-8882 to schedule your appointment with our general dentist, Dr. Frederick Asuncion, here at Asuncion Dental Group in Frederick, MD.
Are you suffering from tooth decay? Do you need your cavities filled, but want to avoid metal fillings? Well, with tooth-colored fillings, that's no problem. Here in Frederick, MD, general dentist, Dr. Asuncion can help you get the healthier and whiter smile you want.
More About Tooth-colored Fillings
There are three types of tooth-colored fillings:
- Composite — Composite is an expensive mixture of plastic and glass. It lasts longer and requires less drilling compared to amalgam.
- Porcelain — It's a strong dental ceramics that doesn't stain. They require a specialized computer-generated technology and are the most aesthetic filling.
- Glass Ionomer — They're made of inexpensive acrylic and glass powders. These translucent fillings blend in well with natural tooth color.
Tooth-colored fillings fix issues like:
- Chips and cracks
- Discolored and stained teeth
- Short teeth
In order to prepare your teeth for the composite, your general dentist in Frederick will apply an etching solution to the surface of your tooth, then the composite resin that matches the color of your teeth is applied and molded to the right shape. The last step consists of the composite being hardened in place with a curing light.
Maintaining Oral Hygiene
Dental bondings require the same care as all your teeth. Be sure to brush your teeth twice a day, after breakfast and before bed, and floss at least once. This will help keep your teeth healthy and avoid new cavities from flourishing in your new tooth-colored fillings, or any of your other teeth.
After your doctor has finished the procedure, your teeth will look natural, especially if the tooth being filled is visible while you smile. Some other advantages include:
- The fillings won't cause your teeth to turn a gray tint over time and are safer.
- The composite strengthens your teeth
- Your teeth will look natural, so you won't feel self-conscious when you smile.
For more information about tooth-colored fillings and how they can improve the appearance of your smile, call your general dentist, Dr. Asuncion at (301) 620-8882, his office is conveniently located in Frederick, MD, so don't hesitate to call!