Quality dental care is built on a foundation of consistent cleanings and oral exams in Frederick, MD
Asuncion Dental Group strikes just the right balance; our patients in and around Frederick, MD, appreciate that we are friendly and get to know their unique needs. This approach results in highly personalized treatment that works to get to the root cause of your symptoms. At the same time, Dr. Asuncion has invested in several sophisticated tools and technologies to aid in maintaining or restoring your oral health. We’ve provided below a glimpse into what to expect during routine visits to our office for professional cleanings and oral exams:
- Professional cleanings are generally scheduled once every six months. Even with the most thorough and consistent brushing and flossing at home, you cannot possibly remove all plaque from your teeth and gum line. If plaque isn’t removed, it can harden to form tartar or calculus. Hardened plaque erodes the teeth and irritates and inflames soft tissue (gums). Eventually, the attachments between the teeth and gums may break down completely. Teeth may become loose, or damage may be so extensive that the natural tooth cannot be preserved.
- Patients with risk factors for conditions such as periodontal (gum) disease should visit us more regularly. These risks include smoking and the use of other tobacco products and comorbidities such as diabetes.
- During these routine cleaning appointments, Dr. Asuncion will examine your teeth, gums, and other structures. He blends his eye for detail and knowledge with advanced diagnostics such as lasers that allow us to “see” clearly what can’t be seen upon visual inspection alone. These technologies and associated imaging may reveal decay in “hidden” spaces or early-stage disease. Ongoing evaluations are critical to your health; often, early gum disease and tooth decay or enamel erosion produce subtle symptoms (or no symptoms whatsoever). You may think that your mouth is perfectly healthy. Yet, underlying conditions are present that threaten the health of your teeth, gums, and oral cavity. Accurate and proactive diagnoses result in effective treatment that can non-traumatically and quickly resolve the condition at hand.
- Oral cancer screening also embodies the notion of the importance of early detection and intervention. We will check for any abnormalities that may warrant further investigation. These cancers have a very high rate of successful treatment when identified and addressed early before spreading to nearby or distant tissues and structures.
- One of the most significant values that we provide during regular appointments is guidance that fits you like a glove. In conversation with you, we may suggest techniques and oral care products help you brush and floss more efficiently. We may discover new threats to your oral health, brought on by changes to your overall health or the use of new medications. We’ll make adjustments to your routine accordingly.
In addition, we may recommend or administer preventive services during these appointments. Preventive offerings range from dental sealants to custom oral appliances that protect the teeth from sports injuries or behaviors like teeth-grinding (bruxism). Contact us today at (301) 690-8482 to schedule your cleaning and exam.